OCT Shenandoah watershed trip Saturday, May 11
Moderators: admins, GinnyN, mod1, mod3, Raymond, slo2rol, mod2
OCT Shenandoah watershed trip Saturday, May 11
My preferred trip for Saturday will be on the not as frequently paddled South River from Crimora Park to Grand Caverns. This is approximately a 10 mile class I trip on a small river with nice current suitable for [s]beginners and[/s] novices.
Since it's a small river, strainers could potentially be present. We ran the first 6 miles of this trip back in February, and that section was strainer free. I'm not sure what the strainer situation is the last 4 miles.
2.5 feet on the Dooms gauge is minimum for this trip:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/uv/?s ... 2620,00062
The level is currently above that now, and with some scattered rain forecast this week, I think it will hold. If not, we'll move downstream on the South Fork Shenandoah somewhere.
To locate this section, just look for Crimora Park and Grand Caverns on this map:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... a6e1&msa=0
I'll post a follow up later this week.
Daryl
Since it's a small river, strainers could potentially be present. We ran the first 6 miles of this trip back in February, and that section was strainer free. I'm not sure what the strainer situation is the last 4 miles.
2.5 feet on the Dooms gauge is minimum for this trip:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/uv/?s ... 2620,00062
The level is currently above that now, and with some scattered rain forecast this week, I think it will hold. If not, we'll move downstream on the South Fork Shenandoah somewhere.
To locate this section, just look for Crimora Park and Grand Caverns on this map:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21 ... a6e1&msa=0
I'll post a follow up later this week.
Daryl
Last edited by Daryl on Thu May 09, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe Saturday
Shorn and I are thinking about camping in the area this weekend and would like to paddle this section.
We're keeping an eye on the river level which has gone straight up with the rain Tue.
We're also keeping an eye on the weather forecast with storms forecast for Sat.
Will probably decide Wed night if we'll go.
nancy
We're keeping an eye on the river level which has gone straight up with the rain Tue.
We're also keeping an eye on the weather forecast with storms forecast for Sat.
Will probably decide Wed night if we'll go.
nancy
It looks like my worry about not having enough water didn't materialize. There's a lot of water in the South currently, but the gauges have started to make the downward turn, and I think it should be at a reasonable level by Saturday.
The weather forecast is for a 60% chance of showers on Saturday. So there's a 40% chance we'll have great weather.
Let's meet at the put-in at Crimora Park at 10:00am Saturday.
If you need any further info, please let me know. And please let me know if you're coming.
Daryl
The weather forecast is for a 60% chance of showers on Saturday. So there's a 40% chance we'll have great weather.
Let's meet at the put-in at Crimora Park at 10:00am Saturday.
If you need any further info, please let me know. And please let me know if you're coming.
Daryl
Change of plans
Our boats aren't loaded, we haven't put together any of our camping gear.
We'll have to cancel.
Hope to see you soon on a river.
nancy
We'll have to cancel.
Hope to see you soon on a river.
nancy
- RangeRon78
- Eddy Flippin'

- Posts: 96
- Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:50 pm
- Location: Charlottesville VA
South River OCT Sat., May 11
Unless the Moormans comes back up overnight, I'm thinking now it won't hold for a run tomorrow. It's at about the minimum and not dropping fast but still dropping some. I will check it again early in the morning and make a call, but I expect to join Daryl on the South River tomorrow. Please call me on my mobile number if the trip is going to be cancelled.
Ron Wiley, Jr.
434-960-6665 (mobile)
Ron Wiley, Jr.
434-960-6665 (mobile)
Philmont Ranger--1978
