Page 1 of 1

OCT - New River Camper 7/20 - 7/21

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:31 pm
by JDzielak
I'm coordinating an overnight self-support trip down the NRG. The tentative plan is to drive down Saturday morning, set shuttle, put on at thermund (SP) and head down to around railroad to riverside primitive camp. Sunday we'll head down to Fayette Station, take out, unwind shuttle and head home.

I have scoured the interweb and I found that permits to camp on the NRG are not required and that availability is first-come first-serve. I found this in a couple different locations on the NPS websites so I'm assuming this to be true even though its contrary to what I have heard.

Please post up your intentions so we can see what kind of interest we have. I'll update as we solidify additional details. Also, please let the group know what kind of craft you plan to paddle. We could probably use some help from inflatables for group gear, etc. Additional seats in inflatables are also much appreciated if you have one available.

Interested

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:01 am
by Amphibious
Planning to join. Paddling a kayak. Spouse may also be interested to join if there is space in a raft.

Best

James

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:04 am
by JDzielak
This is shaping up to be a solid trip. Several solid boaters already committed so we should have a pretty strong group. Hopefully the levels will be kind and we wont have any 8' "bubbles."

Experience level?

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:33 am
by ScottMcD
What experience level is needed for this trip? I have my son up for a few weeks and I'm looking for a canoe/camping trip.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:27 pm
by JDzielak
Scott, we'll be going down the class IV section of the NRG and if the level drops from its current 10' level its still going to be high. 0 would be most preferable. Unless you are a class IV tandem canoeist this would not be the canoe camper for you.

I haven't decided on an upper cutoff yet but I'm open to plan B suggestions on alternate venue if the water stays up.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:56 pm
by ScottMcD
Thanks Jon, I like to stick to class III and below.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:48 pm
by JDzielak
If you're planning on coming with me please post up so I can firm up plans. I 'm taking a raft with myself and two others. I think Wade is coming with his oar rig. If the high water persists on the new I might like to change venue to the likes of the lower G or the cheat canyon. Any comments on either of those options?

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:53 pm
by Pack
Would love to make this one but I am headed to the beach. Hope you plan another one some other time.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:33 am
by JDzielak
The level for NRG is 6' and dropping. There is no additional rain in the forecast and all the other rivers are draining out so it looks like we could be a go for the NRG this weekend. Backup is still cheat canyon (for some reason right now its on the rise). LG is dropping out and without significant rain this week won't be runable.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:55 pm
by gshel
Hey Jon -

My dad and I are interested in joining the trip. We're both solid III-IV boaters.

Question: Is there any room in the raft for two drybags of gear? Or would we need to pack everything in our boats?