Page 1 of 2
Saturday 1/19 Western VA Day Trip
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm
by JDzielak
I'm thinking Goshen, Bullpasture, or whatever more exotic that may still be running class III-IV. Preference for creeking but most creeks in VA are PFDs for me. Who's interested? Weather dependent for safe travel (I'm seeing conflicting reports).
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:14 pm
by AirborneBuff
Jon, per our earlier conversation, I am in for Saturday.
Keith
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:13 pm
by sganarelle
in
i can also go sunday.
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:10 pm
by TShen
Interested!
weather & access in the Pass
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:41 pm
by Alicia
FYI, we could get 4-8" snow on Thurs @ the Maury. Fri temps in hi 30s so it won't melt. Dunno what will happen w/ the Maury level. Also, scrapped snow along Rt. 39 could reduce parking & access to put on the river. So, if you use the swinging bridge put-in, don't forget that is a Wilderness Mgmt Area & requires an access permit, fishing or hunting license.
See here for info:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/access-permit/
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:57 pm
by Wallace
Alicia wants the pass to herself.
Saturday forecast is for sunny and 51 degrees.
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 pm
by Alicia
Not true! I expect it'll be pretty crowded actually. Another reason that parking access could be an issue.
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:27 pm
by tolyho
Looks like Sunday will be the Goshen Race as well which will pull a crowd. Heard it hit 3k cfs today and was run by a few with a boat left pinned on a rock(paddler safe-yellow Nomad) and tethered to the bank if anyone is around to grab it.
The Tye gauges seem to be rusted from the dry weather as there were runs on that today at a low-ish flow(forks of the Tye) and Piney was banging off rocks and dropping but snow and rain in the forecast for all of those watersheds. I might be able to sneak away for Saturday or Sunday. Pulling strings now. YAAAAYYYY RAIN!!
edit:"So...3/4 of Goshen race committee has voted to hold off on race for now. Hanging out wet in the cold and snow doesn't make for a great party. Also travel issues. Hopefully the current wet weather will carry us into March."
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:55 pm
by Jtaylor
Shoot me a line Chris. Kristen is working but grandparents miss their grandchildren so might get out for the day! Either day would work for me..... And FYI my area is on par for 6+ so Conway might get going too!
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:00 pm
by tolyho
^Like^ I'm trying
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 am
by JDzielak
Hopefully our local eye in the hills (Alicia) will give us road condition updates as the situation develops.
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:09 pm
by Alicia
Just drove home early from work in Lexington & could only safely go 25-30 mph on Rt. 39 due to slick spots & snow. I'll post again tomorrow, but if you're paddling Friday, be safe on the roads & bundle up!
Here's a local forecast I usually trust from
http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/iwszone?Sites=:vaz024
THIS AFTERNOON
SNOW...SLEET AND RAIN. ADDITIONAL SNOW AND
SLEET ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S.
TEMPERATURE FALLING INTO THE LOWER 30S LATE. LIGHT AND VARIABLE
WINDS. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION NEAR 100 PERCENT.
TONIGHT
MOSTLY CLOUDY. SNOW LIKELY...MAINLY IN THE EVENING.
TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 6 INCHES. MUCH COOLER WITH LOWS
IN THE LOWER 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO
20 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 70 PERCENT.
FRIDAY
SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND
10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH IN THE MORNING...BECOMING LIGHT
AND VARIABLE.
FRIDAY NIGHT
CLEAR. COLD WITH LOWS AROUND 20. LIGHT AND
VARIABLE WINDS.
SATURDAY
SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 40S. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND
10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.
SATURDAY NIGHT
MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S.
SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT
PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S.
LOWS IN THE MID 20S.
MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY AND MONDAY NIGHT
MOSTLY CLOUDY.
HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S. LOWS AROUND 20.
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:15 pm
by jdb777
I'll be around paddling something. Default is Goshen
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 pm
by Alicia
I got another 1.25" of precip in the rain gauge today, so it's interesting that the Maury gauge is still going down. FYI, the Rockbdg IFLOWs is not reporting accurately. I'll try to get a visual on the old bridge gauge after work tomorrow.
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:17 pm
by JesseTaylor
I ran the bull pasture twice today @ 450 but i doubt it will last till Saturday .