Page 1 of 1

Upper Tye River or Goschen on Saturday March 3rd

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:07 am
by sganarelle
I was told that this river level is my skill level. This would be a PFD for me if it is running.

Anyone in?

Goschen is on its way down. By Saturday it should be runnable for us quasi noobs. We've all run it before a couple times already.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:40 am
by Paddlehands
I would love to go. I'm 90% sure I will be able to. I've always wanted to run the upper section. I've been running the lower section since I was young. Have you run the upper before?

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:15 am
by TShen
I am interested, but also a PFD for me.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:21 am
by JDzielak
I'll jump on the bandwagon but this would be a PFD for me as well. Looks like we have too many Indians and not enough chiefs. I've been trying to run this river for awhile now but it never seems to be running when I can get there. I think we'll need at least 300CFS but preferably more like 400-500 CFS. Someone with more experience please correct me if I am wrong.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:31 am
by JDzielak
For clarification I think the section you are trying to do is from Evergreen Church to AT Footbridge which I think is the race section. (class III/IV) I just checked the AW gage and its running at 330 now but falling fast. we might want to catch it on Sunday on the way back down from Saturday's forecast rain. I'm also available on Sunday.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:55 pm
by Big Mike
I consider 600 cfs a boney minimum for this run. 800 cfs is much more enjoyable.

Beer in mind that the gauge is well downstream of the putin - so don't get too excited anytime you see it shooting up - as it usually falls just as quick as it rises.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:22 pm
by sganarelle
Goschen will definitely be runnable on saturday. should we plan on that?

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:00 pm
by Paddlehands
I'm in for either. I thought that setion was II-III ? Not sure. Mike, are you in?

Saturday

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:16 pm
by Silent Bob
I'm in for Saturday. Goshen sounds good.

If there's any more rain, I wouldn't mind checking out the Bullpasture or Mill Creek as well.

Of course always open to other options as well. (Tye/Irish/whatever)

-Bob

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:11 am
by sganarelle
Looks like Goshen is going to be at a bigger level but doable. I think that is our best option.

Opinions?

In any event, Richmond'ers, let's carpool. Send me an email/private message for my contact info so we can plan this.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:22 pm
by Dave K
jdzielak wrote:Looks like we have too many Indians and not enough chiefs.
Chiefs are overrated. :evil: Be careful but go have fun. :evil::evil:

I will offer this advice:

With the 1/2” of rain forecast for the next 24 hours, by this site:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/qpf2.shtml

and the prediction for the Maury at Buena Vista (downstream of the Pass but still good info) from this site:

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogra ... gage=BVSV2

I think it is going to rain enough to keep the Pass at a high level but not enough to bring up anything in Nelson County. Nothing is certain, of course.

If you can catch the Tye between 550-900 cfs on a falling gauge, then I’d say go for it (church to AT swinging bridge or ruther downstream if you'd like). Look at it carefully on the way up and be careful of wood. I’d suggest a falling gauge so you know what you’re getting in to versus the same level on a rising gauge where you really don’t know how much water is above you and coming down. The Tye is somewhat continuous and a swim might mean some lost gear.

(The Race on the Tye that is usually opposite Cheat Fest is held on a section well downstream.)

Another good (better) option at the predicted level would be to run the Maury from Indian Pool (the stairs) down to the Post Office / store. This should be boat scoutable III+ and, given its width, should have less of a wood consideration. To get to the stiars, drive upstream on 39 from the Post Office. You'll begin to enter the gorge and see a paved pull off on the right. If there are stone steps with a steel hand rail going down to the river, then you'r ein the right spot. If you get further up to a paved pull out that is an obvious overlook, then you have gone too far.

Be sure to write a trip report.

Re: Saturday

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:44 pm
by billh1970
Bob,

Are you thinking of anything in the other direction like Whitetop Laurel? It not a very practical destination from Charlottesville and Richmond because of the distance, but works well from Radford and Roanoke.

I'm thinking Sunday for WTL, but it's a bit of a guess. Saturday something else.
Silent Bob wrote:I'm in for Saturday. Goshen sounds good.

If there's any more rain, I wouldn't mind checking out the Bullpasture or Mill Creek as well.

Of course always open to other options as well. (Tye/Irish/whatever)

-Bob

Saturday

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:55 pm
by Silent Bob
Are you thinking of anything in the other direction like Whitetop Laurel? It not a very practical destination from Charlottesville and Richmond because of the distance, but works well from Radford and Roanoke.

I'm thinking Sunday for WTL, but it's a bit of a guess. Saturday something else.

I could be talked into going the other direction pretty easily. Unfortunately Sunday is probably out. What did you have in mind for Sat.?

-Bob

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:53 pm
by sganarelle
The plan is that myself and 3 other richmonders are will be leaving at 8am and heading west intent on paddling the Tye. This will be a PFD. If it is not runnable we are planning to hit up some section of the Maury.

If any of you all want to meet us somewhere contact me, Sganarelle. I will pm everybody in this thread with my contact information.

syotr

booyah!!

Re: Saturday

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:05 pm
by billh1970
I sent you a PM, Bob.
Silent Bob wrote:
Are you thinking of anything in the other direction like Whitetop Laurel? It not a very practical destination from Charlottesville and Richmond because of the distance, but works well from Radford and Roanoke.

I'm thinking Sunday for WTL, but it's a bit of a guess. Saturday something else.

I could be talked into going the other direction pretty easily. Unfortunately Sunday is probably out. What did you have in mind for Sat.?

-Bob