O.C.T. Class 3 Blue Ridge paddling Feb. 25 & 26
Moderators: admins, GinnyN, mod1, mod3, Raymond, slo2rol, mod2
O.C.T. Class 3 Blue Ridge paddling Feb. 25 & 26
Maury River looks like the best opportunity.
Right now it is supposed to be cold and clear in Lexington - high around 48 - both Saturday and Sunday. Maury River @ Rockbridge Baths is 330cfs and rising with three precipitation events expected before the sunny weekend so it should be good. If not James River @ Balcony is at at an excellent level. Great weather for hiking too. Bambam said it was OK to join his trip with this one on Saturday.
Please post, PM, or call if interested. Details to follow.
Right now it is supposed to be cold and clear in Lexington - high around 48 - both Saturday and Sunday. Maury River @ Rockbridge Baths is 330cfs and rising with three precipitation events expected before the sunny weekend so it should be good. If not James River @ Balcony is at at an excellent level. Great weather for hiking too. Bambam said it was OK to join his trip with this one on Saturday.
Please post, PM, or call if interested. Details to follow.
Sunday for me
I finally have a dry suit...but Sunday still appears the warmer day.Lots of water heading towards balcony.Maury drainage didnt get much....
O.C.T. Class 3 Blue Ridge paddling Feb. 25 & 26
Just left a message for Ken trying to get his opinion and preference.
Weather prediction for Saturday is not as good as before - includes a colder high of low 40's and wind. More rain is expected tonight and Friday so we will see what that does to levels. Maury is holding at 460 cfs right now so I am thinking either Pass or below Rockbridge Baths will be good though Indian Pool may not be as good.
Dake is correct in that other portions of Allegheny Highlands in the James watershed got more rain than Maury. Balcony will be very high and with a cold wind whipping through Virginia's biggest mountain pass that does not seem like fun, especially with the flat water at the the end.
With Craig Creek at 1560 cfs maybe Barbour's Creek is running and with tonight's rain will be good for Saturday? That is a fine class 3 creek I have run a few times. Can you get a visual on Barbour's Dake? What is the current access situation there? We had no problem in the past but I have since heard a landowner (who has benefitted from conservation tax credits) has not been friendly to boaters. I know everyone reading this would love to run Barbours.
Tentative plan: Meet at I-81 exit 200 at the gas station to the north and west of the interstate at 10:30 am Saturday. We could be at the Maury in less than half an hour or at Barbours in an hour or so. Dake, you or anyone else coming from the south watch for levels and Friday night decision on where to go.
Sunday's weather will be sunny, warmer, and the wind should have blown on through. Levels will be lower probably. Tentatively meet at Rockbridge Baths at 11 Sunday. My cell is the typical Richmond area code plus 3 nineteen dash zero tootoo 6.
Weather prediction for Saturday is not as good as before - includes a colder high of low 40's and wind. More rain is expected tonight and Friday so we will see what that does to levels. Maury is holding at 460 cfs right now so I am thinking either Pass or below Rockbridge Baths will be good though Indian Pool may not be as good.
Dake is correct in that other portions of Allegheny Highlands in the James watershed got more rain than Maury. Balcony will be very high and with a cold wind whipping through Virginia's biggest mountain pass that does not seem like fun, especially with the flat water at the the end.
With Craig Creek at 1560 cfs maybe Barbour's Creek is running and with tonight's rain will be good for Saturday? That is a fine class 3 creek I have run a few times. Can you get a visual on Barbour's Dake? What is the current access situation there? We had no problem in the past but I have since heard a landowner (who has benefitted from conservation tax credits) has not been friendly to boaters. I know everyone reading this would love to run Barbours.
Tentative plan: Meet at I-81 exit 200 at the gas station to the north and west of the interstate at 10:30 am Saturday. We could be at the Maury in less than half an hour or at Barbours in an hour or so. Dake, you or anyone else coming from the south watch for levels and Friday night decision on where to go.
Sunday's weather will be sunny, warmer, and the wind should have blown on through. Levels will be lower probably. Tentatively meet at Rockbridge Baths at 11 Sunday. My cell is the typical Richmond area code plus 3 nineteen dash zero tootoo 6.
Barbours creek
David,Barbours creek has come to the same end as Johns creek. Strange,or coincidental, the lady who got Barbours creek closed, was also a Looney. Looney as in the same family as the Looney who got Johns creek closed. Somehow got the local enforcement to believe it was too dangerous although there has never been an incident. A local paddler said he had permission to put in at several places ,and if need be to continue down Barbours till it joined Craig Creek and with me to take out at my house, was told he would be arrested..This one will be missed by many easy shuttle, continous whitewater,nice drops F!@#$%g loonies!!!!!! hope to syotr
Re: O.C.T. Class 3 Blue Ridge paddling Feb. 25 & 26
Sorry to miss the call David, combination of working late in an area with not good phone coverage plus the urgency of some curing thinset mortar.
It remains totally cool by me to combine trips or separate. Middle Maury is my preference as that was the intended club trip on my part but I agree, doubting the water.
Lower Maury (meaning from Rockbridge Baths to Copper Road) on Sunday sounds nice.
Cheers,
Ken Dubel
It remains totally cool by me to combine trips or separate. Middle Maury is my preference as that was the intended club trip on my part but I agree, doubting the water.
Lower Maury (meaning from Rockbridge Baths to Copper Road) on Sunday sounds nice.
Cheers,
Ken Dubel
For what it's worth the AHPS is forecasting the Maury to hold at the current level till Saturday morning, if we get lucky and the area gets a thunderstorm tonight we should be able to squeak through on the last of the water.
I would prefer the Pass, Indian Pool, or Balcony but at this point I just want to get on the water, so I'll be there.
I would prefer the Pass, Indian Pool, or Balcony but at this point I just want to get on the water, so I'll be there.
trip update
Due to the strong winds prevailing and predicted to continue for tomorrow, Saturday paddling is off.
Sunday weather is looking to be warmer and the wind should be gone. Trip could go on Rockbridge Baths section of Maury (class 2) or at Balcony. Please confirm that you are coming.
Sunday weather is looking to be warmer and the wind should be gone. Trip could go on Rockbridge Baths section of Maury (class 2) or at Balcony. Please confirm that you are coming.
David and I are conspiring by phone in an effort to make this as confusing as possible. How are we doing?
I agree with David that the short answer is that paddling is off as far as the O.C.T. thing is concerned for Saturday.
I wish we could cook up a guaranteed plan for a weekend of paddling but Mother Nature seems to have other ideas. I'm sensitive to the notion that's not easy for folks traveling long distances but so far David hasn't figured out how to control the weather. I've asked him to work on that.
It's REALLY WINDY out here right now. Even the cows are leaning into it. If it keeps this up on Saturday (expected) then Balcony is likely not a good place to be although it's at a nice juicy level.
However, IF the Maury holds at its current level and IF the winds settle down then a few of us might do a late afternoon bump-down-the-Pass run on Saturday. Sing out if interested.
The picture is a little rosier for Sunday. It's supposed to be warmer, the winds should calm down, and hopefully the Maury will hold for a somewhat low but very pleasant paddle below Rockbridge Baths. For timing I'd be wanting a general plan to meet at the post office / store at noon. Again, sing out if interested.
Ken
I agree with David that the short answer is that paddling is off as far as the O.C.T. thing is concerned for Saturday.
I wish we could cook up a guaranteed plan for a weekend of paddling but Mother Nature seems to have other ideas. I'm sensitive to the notion that's not easy for folks traveling long distances but so far David hasn't figured out how to control the weather. I've asked him to work on that.
It's REALLY WINDY out here right now. Even the cows are leaning into it. If it keeps this up on Saturday (expected) then Balcony is likely not a good place to be although it's at a nice juicy level.
However, IF the Maury holds at its current level and IF the winds settle down then a few of us might do a late afternoon bump-down-the-Pass run on Saturday. Sing out if interested.
The picture is a little rosier for Sunday. It's supposed to be warmer, the winds should calm down, and hopefully the Maury will hold for a somewhat low but very pleasant paddle below Rockbridge Baths. For timing I'd be wanting a general plan to meet at the post office / store at noon. Again, sing out if interested.
Ken



