Page 1 of 1
OCT North Anna, Sat, Nov 5
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:42 pm
by martha james
The North Anna has been running for some time now, with the exception of when it was lowered when the little boy was missing in the area. My guess is that water might be held in Lake Anna next week if the nuclear reactors are started up then. So I'm also guessing that the North Anna will be running this weekend so let's go for it. Meeting time is 10:00 at the take-out at the bridge on rt 1. This is a fun run when there's water in the river which is seldom. So let me know if you're coming.
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:47 pm
by martha james
Today the on-line gauge at Hart Corner read 468 cfs. I just checked the gauge on the bridge at the put-in (3:15); it's about 1.1ft. Great level. The river is runnable down to 0 on the bridge and the weather forecast for Fri is rain. Things are looking good for a fun run.
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:15 pm
by TedMc
Yes but be advisd the gauge below the dam shows water levels reduced from 400 cfs yesterday to 154 cfs this day. At this level the good water in the river will not hold until Sat. Thursday rain may not be enough. What is Plan B?
South Anna today is 1 inch. and falling.
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:38 am
by Dennis
It's not my trip, but I think Plan B would be to do the North Anna at a little less than optimum good water. ---Dennis
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:31 am
by JDzielak
I might be interested - level dependent. I don't want to scrape my way down... I can do that on the lower James. I want to see what tonight's rain brings. Unfortunately the forecast is not good for a sold rain north of Richmond.
Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:34 pm
by martha james
I have no plan B. I want to do the North Anna. We'll make a decision at the river Sat morning.
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:54 am
by joey d
Fran & I will be there
joey d
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:02 pm
by AirborneBuff
I plan on being there.
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:05 pm
by martha james
Just checked the North Anna again. 292 cfs at Hart Corner translates to about 1/2 ft on the gauge at the bridge. At that level the river is fine. So it can drop more and it will still be a good level. So I'll see everyone at 10:00 tomorrow for what should be a beautiful day.
North Anna
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:43 pm
by Patrick
Good luck. Good Paddling.

I'm in!
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:00 pm
by Randy
I'd love to join you.
AW apparently has a mistake in the location of the take-out. I'm assuming it's the bridge near Chandler Crossing and Rt 689.
Can someone verify this? I'll be driving over from Charlottesville.
Thanks!
Randy
Hewlett to Route 1?
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:15 pm
by Patrick
The trip is Hewlett to Route 1?
Route 1 to Hewlett to right on 601 for the put in?
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:50 pm
by martha james
Trip is Hewlett to rt 1. The take-out is on rt 1 at the bridge. From I95, take the Doswell/Kings Dominion exit & turn left. At rt 1, turn rt. The take-out is about a mile up on the right before you cross the bridge.
Patrick, if you are at the put-in by 10:45, that will work. Put-in is the Carmel church exit off of I95. Cross rt1; that's Jericho Rd. Take the first left after you go under the power lines, that's Hewlett Rd. The put-in is about a mile down that road on the right before you cross the river. Any problems, my cell is 804-516-3218.
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:07 pm
by Randy
Thanks--I plan to be there!