OCT - New River Camper 7/20 - 7/21
Moderators: admins, GinnyN, mod1, mod3, Raymond, slo2rol, mod2
OCT - New River Camper 7/20 - 7/21
I'm coordinating an overnight self-support trip down the NRG. The tentative plan is to drive down Saturday morning, set shuttle, put on at thermund (SP) and head down to around railroad to riverside primitive camp. Sunday we'll head down to Fayette Station, take out, unwind shuttle and head home.
I have scoured the interweb and I found that permits to camp on the NRG are not required and that availability is first-come first-serve. I found this in a couple different locations on the NPS websites so I'm assuming this to be true even though its contrary to what I have heard.
Please post up your intentions so we can see what kind of interest we have. I'll update as we solidify additional details. Also, please let the group know what kind of craft you plan to paddle. We could probably use some help from inflatables for group gear, etc. Additional seats in inflatables are also much appreciated if you have one available.
I have scoured the interweb and I found that permits to camp on the NRG are not required and that availability is first-come first-serve. I found this in a couple different locations on the NPS websites so I'm assuming this to be true even though its contrary to what I have heard.
Please post up your intentions so we can see what kind of interest we have. I'll update as we solidify additional details. Also, please let the group know what kind of craft you plan to paddle. We could probably use some help from inflatables for group gear, etc. Additional seats in inflatables are also much appreciated if you have one available.
Jon Dzielak
- Amphibious
- Coastals Member

- Posts: 155
- Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 12:31 pm
- Location: Richmond, VA
- Contact:
Interested
Planning to join. Paddling a kayak. Spouse may also be interested to join if there is space in a raft.
Best
James
Best
James
Experience level?
What experience level is needed for this trip? I have my son up for a few weeks and I'm looking for a canoe/camping trip.
Scott
Scott, we'll be going down the class IV section of the NRG and if the level drops from its current 10' level its still going to be high. 0 would be most preferable. Unless you are a class IV tandem canoeist this would not be the canoe camper for you.
I haven't decided on an upper cutoff yet but I'm open to plan B suggestions on alternate venue if the water stays up.
I haven't decided on an upper cutoff yet but I'm open to plan B suggestions on alternate venue if the water stays up.
Jon Dzielak
If you're planning on coming with me please post up so I can firm up plans. I 'm taking a raft with myself and two others. I think Wade is coming with his oar rig. If the high water persists on the new I might like to change venue to the likes of the lower G or the cheat canyon. Any comments on either of those options?
Jon Dzielak
The level for NRG is 6' and dropping. There is no additional rain in the forecast and all the other rivers are draining out so it looks like we could be a go for the NRG this weekend. Backup is still cheat canyon (for some reason right now its on the rise). LG is dropping out and without significant rain this week won't be runable.
Jon Dzielak

