O.C.T. small streams east of the Blue Ridge is ....

Find paddling partners and discuss paddling! Please read the "How to" announcement in the forum. Posts not on topic are subject to deletion.

Moderators: admins, GinnyN, mod1, mod3, Raymond, slo2rol, mod2

User avatar
bambam
Coastals Member
Coastals Member
Posts: 2388
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:26 am
Location: Shenandoah Valley

O.C.T. small streams east of the Blue Ridge is ....

Post by bambam »

.... in a state of flux.

There is still some water around from the last rain event but the small streams have played out.

Looks like decent weather for the weekend with highs on Saturday in the forties and perhaps fifties on Sunday.

I plan to paddle something in the class II - III range, no telling where that might be at this point. The big variable is that we may see some rain on Friday according to my latest version of a weather report. If that happens and it's enough to bring up the streams, well, then, off we go.

If we don't get the rain then I'm looking at Maury below Indian Pool / Maury below Rockbridge Baths (or both) assuming it holds. If the Maury doesn't hold then I'm looking at Balcony which should have plenty.

Cheers,

Ken Dubel
User avatar
Paddle Daddy
Coastals Member
Coastals Member
Posts: 1043
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Richmond Virginia

I am in and looking to camp

Post by Paddle Daddy »

Looking forward to it
Paddle Daddy, aka The Glowworm
_____________________

"You can syndicate any boat you row." – Lennon, J.
User avatar
SteveK
Eddy Flippin'
Eddy Flippin'
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:46 pm
Location: Lexington, VA

Post by SteveK »

Ken, having trouble finding the original trip OCT trip listing for this one. We have a small group so far looking to run Maury (Indian Pool to ?), Balcony, or Colliers/Buffalo Creek this Saturday if that is the same day this trip is scheduled. Would probably be interested in paddling with you all. It all depends on level and the rain that is forecast Thursday/Friday in this area.
User avatar
GinnyN
Coastals Member
Coastals Member
Posts: 1714
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:28 pm
Location: Nelson County

Post by GinnyN »

I'm interested in paddling this weekend - class II-ish stuff though. water temps are too low for me to be comfortable on Rockbridge Baths. If you've got others that want to go there - that's fine.
other streams to keep an eye on - Piney-Tye, Rockfish, below Rt 29.

thanks!
User avatar
Alicia
Coastals Member
Coastals Member
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Rockbridge Baths, VA

Post by Alicia »

skvech wrote:Ken, having trouble finding the original trip OCT trip listing for this one . . . this Saturday if that is the same day this trip is scheduled.
Yes, the date for this OCT is this Sat, 2/9.
Alicia Jahsmann

"Do you live by the river? I hope so, because people who live near running water are much nicer than people who don't. I'd be mean as a scorpion if I lived inland." - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
User avatar
bambam
Coastals Member
Coastals Member
Posts: 2388
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:26 am
Location: Shenandoah Valley

Post by bambam »

Warning: Long.
skvech wrote:Ken, having trouble finding the original trip OCT trip listing for this one. We have a small group so far looking to run Maury (Indian Pool to ?), Balcony, or Colliers/Buffalo Creek this Saturday if that is the same day this trip is scheduled. Would probably be interested in paddling with you all. It all depends on level and the rain that is forecast Thursday/Friday in this area.
The original trip should be viewable at here: http://www.coastals.org/trips/

I'm happy to have the company if our paths cross.

=======================================

The short answer is I very much don't know where to go yet. We are expecting rain tomorrow, Friday, but it looks like not a lot, but then again the rivers and such are well-primed from the last event.

Oh, and another short answer, I'm up for paddling both on Saturday and Sunday. (Caveat, I'm nursing a knee. Seems okay for now.)

..... Tough one to call. I like it better when it rains on Thursday (picky, picky) as it makes it easier to help folks make plans.

While I'm thinking about it, if we end up in Rockbridge Baths then please do not park in nor block the parking areas for the post office nor the adjoining store.

Let's start with plan "D". It's actually a nice plan, it just goes to "D" because it's not what I set out to do when I volunteered to coordinate the trip. Maury below Rockbridge Baths. Meet at the post office in Rockbridge Baths at eleven on Saturday. We might have to extend the trip to Alone Mill as I don't know the condition of Copper Road after the high water. Projecting the flow graph suggests that even with zero rain we should be slightly above my "reasonable zero" of USGS 2.0 feet. (I, of course, have run it lower!)

Plan "C": We get enough rain to bring the Maury up some more as in at least USGS 2.6 feet. This is my reasonable zero from Indian Pool to the post office. (I, of course, have run it lower!) I'd say again to figure on meeting at the post office at eleven as a starting point. The Pass will run at this level better than below Indian Pool so I'm up for stirring that into the mix. (I would still include running below the post office for folks not comfy with the bits higher up.)

Plan "B": We get more rain than I'm seeing in various forecasts and all of this goes right out the window.

Plan "A": We get just the right amount of rain to find water in small streams east of the blue ridge. As a base line for planning purposes I'd say look at meeting in Stanardsville (note for your map program that Stanardsville only has one "d" in it) at ten on Saturday. Hopefully we can be more convenient than that by actually meeting at a river specified Friday night.

Still with me?!?!? Come on out.

Cheers,

Ken Dubel
User avatar
SteveK
Eddy Flippin'
Eddy Flippin'
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:46 pm
Location: Lexington, VA

Post by SteveK »

Ken, sounds like our plans may end up the same as your plan. Our group is 4 right now and if the level is OK we will be running either Indian Pool down. 2 of us including me have never run the meat of the pass and need to get this section under our belt first. We have tentative plans to meet at 11AM at the Post Office in Rockbridge Baths and then set shuttle. All depends on how much rain/sleet we get. Our Plan B is to run Balcony. Stanardsville would be too far so if you all go with OCT Plan A we'll have to catch up some other time.
User avatar
Paddle Daddy
Coastals Member
Coastals Member
Posts: 1043
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Richmond Virginia

I am still in whatever

Post by Paddle Daddy »

Also paddling Saturday and Sunday.
Paddle Daddy, aka The Glowworm
_____________________

"You can syndicate any boat you row." – Lennon, J.
David
Coastals Member
Coastals Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:16 pm
Location: Panama City Beach

Sunday

Post by David »

Hey BamBam if you can post Sunday's trip by late Saturday I will try to make it.

Thanks for doing this.

SYOTR,

David
User avatar
bambam
Coastals Member
Coastals Member
Posts: 2388
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:26 am
Location: Shenandoah Valley

Post by bambam »

Looks like we're on for plan "D" for Saturday, meaning meet at the post office in Rockbridge Baths at eleven to run from there down. We only got a little bit of snow here, it has melted, and I see no apparent effect on the water levels. It's forecast to be sunny but breezy with a high of 45 in Rockbridge Baths. This section is reasonably protected from the wind.

Skvech, I don't have clear records as to how low I've run below Indian Pool but my notes for the Pass say "consider short takeout" when the river drops below 2.7 USGS. I'm expecting 2.0 tomorrow. I think things will be mighty bumpy in the shoals. Might want to take an old boat. If everyone who shows up want to run down from Indian Pool then I'm certainly game.

Mr. Bernard, I plan to run Balcony on Sunday, meeting time to be determined. Somewhere close to noon but I'm still working that part out. Partly cloudy, high pushing fifty, no mention of wind (famous last words). Combined flows Buchanan + Buena Vista should be about 2,500 cfs which is a nice level.

Cheers,

Ken Dubel
User avatar
SteveK
Eddy Flippin'
Eddy Flippin'
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:46 pm
Location: Lexington, VA

Post by SteveK »

Ken, Kurt Sisson is organizing our group and he thinks the level will be OK for Indian Pool section. If it looks a little too low in the morning we can always do the lower part. See ya at 11AM at Post Office.
User avatar
Paddle Daddy
Coastals Member
Coastals Member
Posts: 1043
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:43 pm
Location: Richmond Virginia

See you folks tomorrow at 11

Post by Paddle Daddy »

And I am in for Sunday at Balcony also.
Paddle Daddy, aka The Glowworm
_____________________

"You can syndicate any boat you row." – Lennon, J.
STRAKER
Coastals Member
Coastals Member
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: Charlottesville

Post by STRAKER »

Looks like the cards have fallen in my favor and I will be joining you all tomorrow. I would like to cast my vote to start at Indian Pool or even a bump down Goshen if anyone feels so inclined even with low level. I will see you all at the post office at 11am. Chris 434-2four 2 one 1 4 ate.
Kayak-$1000 dollars...........Gas for the shuttle $60 dollars..........Watching your friends get munched by a bus-sized hole.......PRICELESS.
STRAKER
Coastals Member
Coastals Member
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: Charlottesville

Post by STRAKER »

As I awoke this morning to load my car with boat and gear I was greeted by pools of water in my basement. Sump Pump overflowed!!!!!!!! Looks like the only rivers I will be paddling today will be about the same water quality as the North Fork of the Hardware. The mess looks to be about a class IV as I was scouting it this morning, hopefully there will be no carnage as I begin the clean up process...............in other words don't wait up fellas will have to catch you next time.
Kayak-$1000 dollars...........Gas for the shuttle $60 dollars..........Watching your friends get munched by a bus-sized hole.......PRICELESS.
User avatar
glenzilla
Class II
Class II
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:17 am
Location: Richmond

Sunday at Balcony

Post by glenzilla »

I am planning to join the crew for the Sunday run if it is on. Time?

glen
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough!
Post Reply